FINALIST - Business Book Awards 2019 - Embracing Change Category
Brands are built on trust, but in a post-truth world they're faced with a serious challenge: so much of modern life is defined by mistrust. A shattering of the vital trust connection between brands and consumers, together with the evaporation of authenticity as a core brand pillar, is causing enormous problems for businesses on a global scale. If a brand isn't seen as trustworthy, then when choice is available it will be rejected in favour of one that is.
The Post-Truth Business provides a way forward for any organization wishing to rebuild brand authenticity in a distrustful world. It explains the interconnected problems facing businesses, with important topics including:
- The impact of fake news, disinformation and the weaponizing of lies
- The safeguarding of privacy, alongside privacy as a tradable asset
- Why and how brands must create communication with meaning
- The dangers of inauthentic cultural marketing activities
- Examples of conscious capitalism and brand activism
- Lessons in authenticity from artisans and innovators
- National branding and reputation capital
- Leveraging the power of 'brand trust'
The Post-Truth Business shows how to strengthen consumer engagement by closing the 'brand credibility gap'. It's packed with examples of inspiring people, brands and international campaigns from the fashion, beauty, outdoor, motor, drinks, finance, media, technology, entertainment and health sectors. Each of them demonstrates a dynamic and positive way forward.
Chapter - 00: Introduction - Brands are built on trust;
Chapter - 01: Alternative facts and the war on truth;
Chapter - 02: Privacy as a human right - And a tradable asset;
Chapter - 03: #SkipAd vs connections with meaning;
Chapter - 04: Conscious capitalism and brand activism;
Chapter - 05: Price, provenance and transparency;
Chapter - 06: Makers, innovators and outsiders;
Chapter - 07: Reputation capital and national branding;
Chapter - 08: The marketing of culture;
Chapter - 09: Truth, lies and advertising;
Chapter - 10: Summary - The post-truth brand manifesto